Saint Gregory the Illuminator Church
HomePLACESSaint Gregory the Illuminator Church
PLACEChurch

Saint Gregory the Illuminator Church

Church

TypeChurch
Share QR code
https://goris.am/places/saint-gregory-the-illuminator-church

In 1897, representatives of the Melik-Huseinian princely family of Goris initiated the construction of an Armenian church in the town of Goris, due to the inconvenience of using the church of the village of Old Goris, located on the left bank of the Vararakn River, as well as the presence of the Russian church in the town. The entire town participated in raising funds. According to oral testimonies, the church’s construction was overseen by an Italian-Armenian architect. The church was consecrated in 1903 by Khrimian Hayrik and opened in 1904, but it did not have a dome or altar. In 1920, the wedding of Garegin Nzhdeh and Gohar Dadalyan took place in the church. In February 1921, the ceremonial consecration of Garegin Nzhdeh as sparapet also took place at the Saint Gregory the Illuminator Church. The church was in operation until 1926. After it was closed, it was used as a bread warehouse and served as a geological museum until 1988. It was reopened in December 1989.